Saturday, February 15, 2014

Review: Southbound Surrender By Raen Smith

Southbound Surrender

Southbound Surrender
Author: Raen Smith
Published: January 15, 2013
Publisher: Createspace
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Netgalley
Kindle Edition 212 Pages
My Rating:







Five days. Fifty square feet. One last shot at love. 

Cash Rowland first laid eyes on the tenacious and irresistible Piper Sullivan when they were both seventeen. He falls for her hard and just when he thinks she's doing the same, Piper is torn from his life without warning. She leaves no contact information but only a vague promise of fate. 

Five years later, their paths unexpectedly cross. When he shows up with his eighteen-wheeler unannounced, Cash persuades Piper to head out on the open road to give him one last shot at love. But what should be a routine delivery across six states suddenly becomes an unforgettable journey when they save a woman with a broken past and discover that second chances are only for the lucky ones.

About Raen Smith

Raen Smith

Raen Smith is the author of the Unraveled Series and Southbound Surrender. She loves writing about complex characters with a sprinkling of happily ever after. 

When she isn't writing novels, she spends her time wrangling two small sons and teaching at a technical college. She lives in a small corner of Wisconsin with her husband and two sons. 

Contact Info: 
Website



"I first laid eyes on the love of my life at the tender age of seventeen"

"I knew the moment I saw Piper Sullivan that I never wanted to exist in a world without her"

"And I knew that day after day, Piper Sullivan would continue to shatter my heart until that moment when there'd be nothing left but a mere dust where my heart used to be."

  Those first few lines are so beautiful, I was swooning over a character that I didn't even know, like Cash fell in love with Piper at first sight. This story is about true love, second chances, finding yourself, and figuring it all out while on a road trip with an unexpected twist. Cash fell in love with Piper the first time he saw her, he couldn't stop thinking about her, and had to know her. Right when they're getting to know each other she moves away, leaving a vague letter for Cash that leaves him confused and heartbroken. He was such a sweet guy, all he wanted to do was be with her, so he didn't understand why she left. When he finally finds her 5 years later; she's still in school and he's become a truck driver, (an eighteen wheeler) he's driven all across the country. He's got 5 days to deliver his load so he goes to Piper's house with a proposition for her to give him 5 days to prove that they belong together. Their journey turns out to be adventurous and eye opening for both of them.

I really like this story told from Cash's perspective but I can't help to think that there's something missing. I don't particularly like Piper's character, she described herself as a person that liked to "exaggerate" the truth. When they first met she told Cash that her father was a drug dealer when he really was a neurosurgeon, her excuse was that he did prescribe heavy drugs as a doctor. I just found it hard to trust anything she said throughout the story. I didn't feel that moment when the two characters fall for each other. When Piper left the note she didn't leave him any contact information, she just said that if it was meant to be that he will find her one day. What the heck is that? I thought she was crazy. I did like what Cash found in the box about his mom, that was also a heartbreaking part of this story. Cash and Piper both lost their mother when they were kids and that was really hard to read.

In the end when the secret was revealed Piper runs away again but he finds her quickly after, and then all's forgiven. I didn't think that was realistic, I would need time to process that. I don't think in real life things would have happened that fast. 

I still loved reading from Cash's point of view, his words were so beautiful and his emotions were so raw that I couldn't help but feel for him for everything he was going through.


Handing the cigar to her. "That, Piper Sullivan, is how you stole my heart"
"And this..." I held up the note. "Is how you shattered it."

"Cash," she whispers. "I don't want to know what it feels like to miss you anymore."

And I realized then, that as hard as it was to miss her, I would pick missing her over never meeting her any day of the week.

I think that was one of the most beautiful moments in the book. Piper wanted to get his attention the first day of school so she hid in the janitor's closet to smoke one of her fathers cigars, so when Cash smelled it he walked in, they got to talking and fell head over heels for her. The other part was the infamous note made him miserable for 5 years. He kept the cigar and the note that reminded him of her. That is just the sweetest thing and we definitely need more men like Cash in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I comment and follow back so don't forget to leave me your links :)

Review: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun by Jill Criswell

Title: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun Author: Jill Criswell Series: Frozen Sun Saga #1 Genre: YA Fantasy Publishing Date: August 6, 2...