Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: V is for Virgin By Kelly Oram


V is for Virgin

V is for Virgin
Author: Kelly Oram
Published: December 11, 2012
Publisher: Bluefields
Pages: 282
Source: Provided By Author For Review
My Rating: 


When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation. 

After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy. 

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.

How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?


Kelly Oram

Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which family and friends still tease her. She's obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and loves to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and four children.

Contact Kelly:


"Legs?" I scoffed. "Nice. Am I supposed to swoon?"

"You're swooning on the inside."

"In your dreams."

"You promise?"

"You better tell me your name," Kyle said. "Or Legs is going to stick permanently, and it won't be my fault."

"It's Valerie."
________________

The Top Ten Reasons Why Virgin Val Sucks 
10. She called me a one-hit-wonder. 
9. She doesn't appreciate the endearing nickname I gave her. 
8. She makes me write stupid blogs about her at four in the morning. 
7. She's encouraging people not to have sex.  
6. She blew me off when I asked her out.  
5. She has a crush on a douche bag. 
4. She won't answer any of my calls. 
3. She's such a tease with her look-but-don't-touch policy. 
2. I played a whole effing concert just for her and she didn't come even though she told me she would. (You're such a liar!) 
And the #1 reason why Virgin Val sucks? 
I still want her anyway.
______________________________

"I can't resist a good challenge."

"Well, I'm afraid you have a problem then, Kyle."

"What's that?"

"I never back down from a challenge either." I pointed to the jeans I was wearing. "This is one pair of pants you'll never get into."

"Ah, but you still have a whole closet full of others, and at least one very sexy skirt, don't you?"

"None of which you'll ever get your hands on either."


This book starts off with Valerie and her boyfriend breaking up and she has to tell off the girl that he immediately hooked up with after her. Of course the girl had it coming, I mean what kind of girl would do that? Along with telling off the girl, she professes that she plans on staying a virgin until she gets married and that is why her boyfriend broke up with her. So the video goes online and gets a lot of hits and suddenly she is known as Virgin Val. 

This book was so funny, the constant bickering between Val and Kyle was too hilarious. I was literally laughing out loud a lot. Kyle wanted in her pants because he thought it was 'problem', but it was something Val believed in. She started a revolution. She sold jewelry that she made with "V" for virgin so people wearing it would wait til marriage and "A" for abstinence. Val got famous and soon after couldn't handle everything that was thrown at her and lost another boyfriend in the process. Val's interactions with Kyle were always a spectacle, you'd have to call them that because you could barely call them conversations. There were so many moments that were hilarious, they were each other's challenge and wouldn't back down. They embarrassed each other and got away with a lot just to humiliate one another, it was hella fun to watch. He wanted her but couldn't promise her marriage and it wasn't enough for Val, it couldn't be she had a goal and he wouldn't give it to her, so she wouldn't give into him.  


This book was more about her journey of becoming a role model for girls and society. It was not a love story, but it was still a really great book to read. I hope this book teaching people out there that it's okay to be different and not do what everyone is doing just to be a follower. You can be yourself and people will like you for you, not who you hang out with, who your parents are or whatever else. Everyone is unique and if we all stood up for something the world would be a better place. I say this because I have kids and I want them to have a world better than the one I'm having. This was an inspirational read for me, there are so many lines to read between, so many things unsaid, I hope people can find them and make a difference in their own way.

Thanks to Kelly for letting me read her awesome book, it was a pleasure working with her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I comment and follow back so don't forget to leave me your links :)

Review: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun by Jill Criswell

Title: Beasts Of The Frozen Sun Author: Jill Criswell Series: Frozen Sun Saga #1 Genre: YA Fantasy Publishing Date: August 6, 2...